As a transdisciplinary sustainability scientist with a graduate training in forest sciences, forest/wood engineering, in ecological economics, industrial ecology and in communication on sustainability, I am interested in place-based human-environment relations and the transition to a more sustainable society – across disciplines, industry sectors and in various geographies.
I have been trained both in the natural and social sciences and I am used to combine, mix and integrate rigorous quantitative (network analysis, footprint accounting, choice experiments) and qualitative methods (design thinking, co-creation, interviews, consultations, focus groups).
Current research projects
- Resilience of Arctic and Alpine Social-Ecological Systems ArcAlpNet.
- Didactics and long term evaluation of Education on Sustainable Development
- Sustainable Mountain Tourism – Assessment, Communication, Implementation SMTA.
- Diversification of the Snow Sports Sector
- Developing a Circular Economy in Tourism dependent Mountain Regions
- Cradle to Cradle Design in the Outdoor Sports Product Sector
- Modeling Consumer Behavior for Sustainable Consumption
- Architecture and Design – Transformation of an Abandoned Mountain Hamlet to a Living Laboratory of Sustainability
- Transdisciplinary Methods for Sustainability Research
Areas and key words of my main research
- Sustainability Transitions
- Resilience of social-ecological systems (SES)
- Environmental Change
- Ecological Economics
- Circular economy
- Systemic Design: cradle-to-cradle, whole systems, integrative design of products, services, buildings, governance, communication
- Industrial ecology: biomimicry, learning from nature
- Environmental engineering
- Integrative architecture, passive house design
- Forest sciences, wood science and engineering
- Sustainable tourism development
- Assessment and quantification of sustainability: life cycle assessment, footprint accounting, labels and certificates
- Consumer behavior and sustainable consumption
- Sustainability communication and didactics for teaching about sustainability
- Epistemology and conceptual frameworks of sustainability